I think everyone at some point in their lives has envisioned a mental bucket list of places they’d like to see and experiences they want to try someday. Maybe it’s a backpacking trip after four stressful years of university, attending a wild three-day music festival, indulging in a luxurious honeymoon vacation, visiting a national landmark you’ve seen on t.v a million times, visiting a certain country or state you’ve always wanted to see, deciding that someday you will eat gelato in Italy, or accomplishing a personal goal like facing your fear of the ocean by scuba diving or embarking on a strenuous multi-day hike up a volcano with tons of gear.
As you grow and learn more and more about the world, you discover places, experiences and specific things that someday you’d like to see and explore. If you’ve been bitten by the travel bug like me and have a serious case of wanderlust, then you probably have an extensive bucket list you daydream about at work. I love learning about different places and cultures around the world, and I think there is so much value in experiencing new and exciting things.
I thought I’d share my personal bucket list (things I’d like to see and do at some point in my life), as well as some experiences I’ve been able to cross off in case you needed some extra travel inspiration and ideas 🙂
My Bucket List (in no particular order):
- Hot Air Balloon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey (at sunset or sunrise).
- Go on an African Safari.
- Embark on a road trip in the USA, stopping at some national parks (maybe in an RV).
- Attend Holi festival in India and visit the Taj Mahal.
- Skydive and explore Dubai.
- Scuba dive (maybe the Galapagos) and swim with whale sharks.
- Stay in an overwater bungalow in the Maldives or Bora Bora.
- Visit Morocco, Egypt and Jordan to see the ruins of Petra, the Pyramids of Giza, ride a camel, and float in the dead sea. (Could probably break this up into 2-3 separate goals lol)
- Celebrate Mardis gras and explore Louisiana.
- Camp out to see the Northern lights.
- Visit a reserve/rehabilitation centre with baby elephants.
- Go on a tour of Antelope Canyon, Arizona.
- Learn how to and help build a school in an impoverished area.
- Feel like Cinderella at Neuschwanstein castle in Germany and explore the Black Forest.
- Spend time in Australia and New Zealand (visit Hobbiton).
- Participate in a luau in Hawaii.
- Central America: Cuddle a sloth somewhere between traveling from Panama to Colombia.
- Backpack more of Southeast Asia.
- Island hop in Greece.
- Get front row tickets at a Beyonce concert.
- Europe: Next countries I’m interested in- Russia, Romania and Estonia. (I’ll never be done with Europe)
- Attend an Olympic event.
- Cruise through Antarctica.
- Vegas baby!
- Daydream alert: Fly first class and stay in a luxury hotel with an infinity pool 😀 hehe!
My list is always growing as I learn about other places and I hope to always be able to travel the world throughout my life. To me, life is all about the experiences you have and the memories you make.
I’ve been lucky enough (i.e, worked hard) to travel to 35 countries, therefore it would be a much longer list if I wrote everything to do and see that I’ve enjoyed in each place. So here is a list of things that were extra special where I experienced a moment of pure joy and appreciation:
- Explore the incredible Inca ruins at Machu Picchu, Peru (take llama selfie).
- Ring in the new year covered in body paint at a Full Moon Party in Thailand.
- Indulge in a wine & French pastries picnic by the Eiffel Tower, Paris.
- Road trip to Banff, Alberta.
- Drink delicious German beer in a dirndl at Oktoberfest. (Prost!)
- Spend hours at a Korean bbq with friends, followed by karaoke in South Korea.
- Stay in a villa in Tuscany (and take a road trip to Florence), Italy.
- Try to catch a glimpse of the Queen at Buckingham Palace, London.
- Engage in a water fight with an elephant (and lose) in Thailand.
- Bike ride in Central Park, NYC.
- Admire (with a heavy heart) the millions of paper cranes at the Hiroshima Memorial, Japan.
- Party and attempt to samba dance at Carnaval, Rio de Janeiro.
- Take funny perspective photos at the Salar de Uyuni salt flats, Bolivia.
- Walk alongside the murals on the Berlin Wall (known as the East Side Gallery).
- Make sampling many Belgian beers & chocolates in Brussels the only thing on the daily to-do list.
- Contemplate missing your flight to live forever in the south of France.
- Go on a Gondola ride in Venice.
- Grab a pint of Guinness at Temple bar area in Dublin, Ireland.
- Rent a boat and sail around stunning Croatia.
- Paraglide near the Swiss Alps ( and nearly land on a cow).
- Snorkel with sharks and stingrays along the coral reef, Belize.
- Slather on a silica mud mask in the Blue Lagoon, Iceland.
- Eat pizza in its birthplace of Naples, Italy (and pasta, gelato & cannolis!)
- Pretend you’re in a fairytale at Lake Bled, Slovenia.
- Party in ruin bars and then relax in the thermal baths (and sparty) in Budapest.
- Drink mulled wine and buy too many ornaments at the Christmas markets in Prague.
- Take the tour designed by survivors to learn and pass on the terrible history of Auschwitz, Poland.
- Be in two places at once at the equator line in Ecuador.
- Close your mouth while on a dune buggy/sand boarding tour outside of the desert oasis Huacachina, Peru.
- Feel like you’re walking on the moon in the Atacama desert, Chile.
- Get a little giddy on a wine tour and then indulge in malbec and Argentinian steak.
- Take a tour through the ruins of Pompeii, Italy with Vesuvius in the background.
- Chase waterfalls across the border at Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil.
- Stick your arms out while gazing up at the Christ the Redeemer statue, Brazil.
- Drink Aperol Spritz while taking in the colorful Amalfi coast, Italy.
- Look for your favorite celebrity along the Hollywood walk of fame, Los Angeles.
- Explore the Mayan ruins, Mexico
- Marvel at La Sagrada Familia and Gaudi park (& eat tapas) Barcelona.
- Do a tour of The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea.
- Stroll through the Bamboo forest (Arashiyama), Kyoto.
- Hike to Arthur’s seat (and then sit down to admire the views) in Edinburgh Scotland.
- Stare up in awe in the Sistine Chapel while visiting the Vatican city, Italy.
- Take in a broadway play, NYC/London.
- Turn down for what at Ultra music festival.
- Try to get that perfect pose at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy.
- Zipline through the Ecuadorian forest.
- Do a boat tour at Niagara Falls
- Hike the deepest canyon in the world, Colca Canyon- Peru
- Learn to surf, dude.
- Eat delicious sushi in Japan.
There you go! It’s hard to sum up all of the beautiful and interesting memories I’ve been collecting, especially when some of the most special moments have been when the locals have taught me something or simply showed me an act of kindness. Those are the ones you can’t plan but will undoubtedly experience as you travel. If you’re unfamiliar with any of the items I’ve listed, I highly recommend googling these breathtaking places.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about some of my travel goals, as well as my favorite travel memories, and maybe you will add some to your own list. I would love to hear about your bucket list ideas and experiences to add to mine as well so feel free to comment below or send an email.